Re: [Healeys] Power Steering

To: D HALL <dthall@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Power Steering
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 08:32:18 +0100
David

I had reason to look into this in detail on a 3000 for an A-H enthusiast
who had only one leg. He drove with hand controls and wanted to lighten
his steering.

We looked in some detail but the list of things that needed to be
changed just kept growing. When the estimate reached around 6000 UK
Pounds we abandoned the project. Just to give you some idea this is a
summary

GM power rack fitted just behind the track rod that was split to pick up
the central rack output.
Steering box replaced with a second idler.
New steering column inner and outer cut from a redundant box
New bracket and bearing at lower end.
Universal jointed link to rack but the radiator had to be moved or
modified
Electric hydraulic pump with alternator necessary to drive this.
Horn and turn controls had to be left off and substitutes on stalks
fitted.
etc. etc.

Regards
--