[Healeys] Scored OD accumulator piston/housing- replacement needed?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Scored OD accumulator piston/housing- replacement needed?
From: tomleavy@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 01:52:40 +0000
I am also in the process of replacing the accumulator o-rings, as Peter is. To
compound the challenge of removing the accumulator sleeve, upon removal of the
piston, I found pretty heavy scoring of the piston and rings. I assume that
this isn't normal, but is it acceptable?

If it has to be replaced, I'll be in the market for one, and if anyone has a
spare for sale please contact me off list.

FWIW, I didn't have any trouble removing the spring or the spacer tube. I was
even able to remove the piston with a pair of specialty pliers that open when
the handles are squeezed. I was amazed at the ease with which it came out, but
alas, in its' condition I know it won't go back in as easily.

I understand that compressed air may push the accumulator sleeve out, but are
there any other options  besides that for removal?

Also, if I ever get to the reassembly stage, is there a source for the rubber
bumper that limits the bottom of the stroke of the solenoid piston?

ANy advice would be appreciated- my overdrive is in your hands. Tom