[Healeys] Targa Newfoundland--Prologue

To: healeys@autox.team.net, caahc@yahoogroups.com, tourv@erols.com,
Subject: [Healeys] Targa Newfoundland--Prologue
From: awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:16:57 -0400
Today (Sunday)?was the first day of running, actually called the "Prologue", an
opportunity?to shake down both the cars and teams.

Michael Salter (driver) and I (navigator)?departed St. John's late morning and
ran four "Transits"?(on open public roads at legal speeds, etc.)
which?connected together three Targa stages (on roads?closed to the public at
high speeds). for a total of around 75 km.

The Healey (a heavily modified pre-production 100 bearing the designation ANX
12, which I shall hereafter?refer to as?"12") performed faultlessly.? Some of
you remember that during last year's Targa we were plagued with rear axle and
suspension problems and the modifications to?both that
Michael?made?since?then?seem to have made a difference as we were not bottoming
out in any of the compressions (rear potholes) for which Newfoundland is
famous.??Driver and navigator seem to be communicating?well (though I
did?transpose one instruction) and we stayed both on course and on time.

Today was merely?practice and tomorrow we start the Targa in earnest during
which?times, speeds, etc.are for real.? We're on the road for the week making
overnight stops?in Gander,?Clarenville and?Marystown before our return to Saint
John's and the event's conclusion on Friday.? Only a couple thousand km's to go!

I'll try to post some email notes as time and internet access (both
often?limited) allow.

Best--Michael Oritt?