[Healeys] Targa Newfoundland--Leg 2

To: healeys@autox.team.net, caahc@yahoogroups.com, Orbittor@aol.com,
Subject: [Healeys] Targa Newfoundland--Leg 2
From: awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:27:24 -0400
We had eight Targa stages on today's menu.? We ran the first six perfectly,
making times and having no problems.? On the next to last stage we hit an
enormous hole (not shown on the route book) and the rear landed heavily,
breaking two rod ends (the car has a four link rear) one upper left and one
lower right or vica versa so as you can imagine the rear axle was moving about
wildly.? Nevertheless we made it through the finish within Trophy time, then
loaded the Healey up on the transporter and moved to an area near the beginning
of the next (final) stage which runs through the streets of Gander.? Michael
and mechanic Brian Sexsmith, ever-resourceful, devised a plan for us to
complete the last stage:? We simply?tied the axle front and back with some of
the?nylon webbing tiedown straps and ran the last stage at reduced speed,
though we did not make the time.

We're scouring Gander for two 5/8" tie rod ends with spherical joints that will
accept 5/8" bolts--right hand fine threaded if you please--but haven't come up
with any yet so fabricating new links may wind up being the solution.? As I
left the arena the welder was looking over the job and I am back at the hotel
to do tomorrow's route book under the assumption that we will get back on the
road.? Oh yes, one shock is bent but we will address that once the links are
repaired.

More news as it develops--Michael?Oritt

???