[Healeys] Targa Newfoundland--Leg 3

To: Orbittor@aol.com, soritt@earthlink.net,
Subject: [Healeys] Targa Newfoundland--Leg 3
From: awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:23:52 -0400
As I expected Michael and Brian came up with a fix last night and we were ready
to go in the morning.? Though?male rod ends were not available two females were
and by simply cutting some 5/8" bolts to length we were good to go--this
probably a great reason to use female rod ends in the first place!

In any case we ran all sections today with no incidents, made either Targa or
trophy times in all and tonight?the?support team is trying to chase down a
problem in the Brantz Rallye timer which causes it to reset intermittently.?
This is a serious problem in that I call instructions for the next corner, etc.
to?Michael based upon the distance to it out of the route book and I get all my
info off the Brantz.? When it failed during the seventh Targa stage?we were
forced to estimate distances between instructions?and this makes it just that
more difficult for Michael to maintain the high?velocities demanded as he
cannot then drive right up to the turn, etc. at speed.? Nevertheless we
persevered successfully!

This will be AHX 12's fourth Targa Newfoundland.? In 2003 and 2004 owner Blair
Harber and Michael successfully completed this event, then last year I?filled
in as?navigator and again this year.? As a Healey enthusiast/owner it is?an
incredible thrill to?sit in a 1953 100 and feel/see/hear it hurtling up, down
and around the rough and twisty roads of rural Newfoundland.??There are faster
cars than?us for sure, but none older and lower and?it is great to be a part of
overcoming these challenges.? My hat goes off to Blair and Michael for fielding
such an incredible vehicle.

We have two days left--we're now in Clarenville, tomorrow we run down to
Marystown and then back into Saint Johns end of day Friday.? More as it
happens.? BtW there are probably pictures up on the Targa Newfoundland website
and I know there are already?video clips posted on YouTube--probably some
footage of us going by!

Best--Michael Oritt