Re: [Healeys] Carburator needle changes

To: "Jerry Costanzo" <grumpyinloomis@ssctv.net>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Carburator needle changes
From: "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 06:51:47 +0800
Jerry -

Regardless of the tune of your engine build and the needles in the
carb, you should always be able to adjust the idle on HD8 carbs to
factory spec ~ 600 rpm.  The problem isn't your carb needles.

I suspect either:

1) Your throttle valve plates are not seated properly. They should be
fully closed at idle and if not seated properly in the throttle body
then you will have air leakage and too fast of an idle. Take the carbs
off and check that they seat fully in the throttle body

2) The slow idle screw (the big screw) o ring is worn out and air is
leaking past the o ring causing fast idle

3) You have a vacuum leak somewhere

Once you have all this sorted, you should be able to adjust idle
properly.  Than and only then should you start thinking about needles.

Alan

--
Sent from my mobile device

Alan