Re: [Healeys] sticking valve

To: "James Shope" <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] sticking valve
From: "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:14:37 +0800
James -

I can attest that Stabil is a very worthwhile purchase for cars that sit for
some time.  Living in Hong Kong, I only get back to California from time to
time to drive my BN1 - I've been gone as long as a year, and the car starts
no problem every single time.

With respect to the tri-carb valve sticking - Valves will stick if using
bronze guides and/or not getting enough lubrication. That being said if it
sat a while and there was a little bit of rust build up in a cast iron
guide, that could have caused the sticking as well.  the only thing I can
suggest is drive the car daily for a few hundred miles over a couple of
weeks and if it doesn't stick again, your problem will likely be solved.
Marvel Mystery Oil is probably a good idea in this case, although I've never
used it personally, but many people swear by it.

Best Regards,

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1