Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Shifter stuck

To: "Michael Hartfield" <hartfiel@alumni.princeton.edu>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Shifter stuck
From: "John Snyder" <helyjohn@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:50:47 -0700
Same thing happened to me w/ my center shift BT7 MK2, except I was stuck in
reverse.  Very inconvenient   Shift lever just flopped around, and would not
engage anything.
The small bottom "ball" of the shift lever had come out of its socket in the
remote shift rod that actually goes into the top of the transmission.
Called Hagerty, flatbed tow truck came quickly and took me home. No charge.
THANK YOU HAGERTY.
If you have a Moss catalog, look at page 84, item #31.  It is N/A, but you
can make one.  Pull off the console and the cover of  the transmission. If
my problem is the same as yours, one of the small "tits" on the end of the
bolt that goes into the side of the shift tower has broken off which allows
the shift lever to go past its normal range and disengage from its socket.
This "tit" fits into a slot in the side of the big ball on the shift lever,
controlling its side to side motion.  If the lever goes too far to one side
of the other, it comes out of the socket and flops around.
Get a long bolt w/ the same threads as the broken one, check the overall
length, turn the end down so it will fit into the slot, and you are done.

John Snyder
1959 BN7
1960 BT7
1961 BN7 MK2