[Healeys] Upholstery Glue

To: "'AustinHealey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Upholstery Glue
From: Daniel and Diane White <dwhite4949@wowway.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:12:52 -0400
Hi Folks,

I am trying to work on recovering my seats and can't seem to find a good
upholstery cement that is strong enough.  I am trying to follow the Moss
video for my front seat bottom covers, but the contact cement that I have
been able to find just isn't strong enough to hold the flat, pleated part of
the seat cover down when I pull the sides over.  I have a quart of the no
longer available Moss adhesive but can't find it in storage.  Moss doesn't
sell the good stuff anymore...EPA regulations.

So, what is everyone using these days besides 5 gallons worth of the 3M Trim
and Vinyl Top adhesive?

Thanks,
Chris
BJ8
_________________________________

Chris,
If you are doing the seat cushions...here's what I used on this area.
 From Home Depot (or where ever) get a tube of Loctite Power Grab
Exterior Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive (has a yellow cap on the end
of the tube so you can reseal and use later for home projects).  I cut a
piece of cardboard to cover the area being "glued" down at rear and used
wax paper between the cardboard and seat surface so that the cardboard
doesn't stick to the adhesive.  Then I used a couple of rubber tie down
straps with hooks on the ends, knot them to get the length you want,
wrapped them around the cushion (using card board between the straps and
front of cushion so that the straps don't leave impressions).  Do your
adhesive and let the whole thing set up overnight.  Did mine last year
and everything has stayed put.  I've also used this stuff on the sides
and front underneath where the leather wraps...used spring clamps with
Popsicle sticks between the clamps and leather in this area.  This stuff
dries white so don't get it where you don't want it to show...I touched
up one area of dried adhesive on the seat frame with Rustoleum Satin
Black.  This is probably more than two cents worth of info.
Cheers,
Dan
'62 BN7 Mk II