Re: [Healeys] Alternator vs. generator

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Alternator vs. generator
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:15:07 EST
In a message dated 11/11/08 11:08:00 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> I need some advice, I am thinking about converting original generator to an
> alternator on my 59 bn4 (actually I am ordering a new wiring harness and
> need to know before I order it) My car has fog lights and I am thinking about
> adding a radio,cigar lighter (maybe) anyway will the generator work ok? or
> should I convert......what are the pros and cons?

The regular generator can handle the small additional load for stuff you
might power from your power   plug (the politically correct modern alternative
"cigar lighter") such as cell phone, GPS, and iPod. (Be sure to convert to
negative ground before adding the power source). One of these can be mounted
very
neatly out of sight under the package tray.

 However, you might want to calculate the added load from fog lights on in
addition to your headlights and rear lights compared to your generator output
and see how long you'll be able to drive before using up your battery -- years
ago a friend told the scary story of driving the desert at night to avoid the
heat on a long-distance drive and being stranded on a remote section of highway
50 at 2 in the morning when his battery and generator gave up trying to keep
up with his Lucas Rangers and high-intensity headlamps. He converted to an
alternator (an easy, well-documented conversion and has been happy since)

AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and all other
Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)