Re: [Healeys] time to put the fendors on

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] time to put the fendors on
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:35:43 -0500
Hi, Jerry -
The severe corrosion seen between the shroud and fender flanges on some cars
occurred when the cars were used as everyday transportation and sat outside
in all weathers and were wet frequently.  Most do not see that kind of
environment anymore, so after they are repaired with a good paint film
between them, they aren't likely to corrode to any significant extent.
The corrosion process is galvanic, between the steel and aluminum, and
requires moisture for the electrolyte.

I used an anti-rust primer called "Corroless" on mine back in the '80s and
have no evidence of rusting since.  I believe Eastwood has the same thing
under the "Rust Encapsulator" name, which is what I am using now.  Any good
similar paint would do the same thing.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry