Re: [Healeys] Dating Tires

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Dating Tires
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:23:30 EST
In a message dated 11/23/08 11:07:03 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> It takes the ultimate "Gear Head" to date his tires.  I knew we would find
> him on this list.
>
> Michael '65 BJ8

This is not just a gearhead deal. Over the past year, several major tire
discounters have been found to be selling tires that have been in inventory
for
years. This is a scam, since radial tires are considered by most experts (in
and
out of the industry) to be unsafe for use after five years minimum and eight
years maximum (depending on which expert you consult). So if you buy a tire
that is already three or four years old, you're only getting the equivalent of
half a tire.

Similarly, if you have radial tires on your Healey that are more than five to
eight years old, even if they have an external appearance that looks
relatively new, they are susceptible to delaminating without warning, which is
not a
good thing. It's a good thing to check the dates on the tires on your Healey
if
you weren't the one to buy and install them, to make sure that they're still
safe to drive on.

Cheers
Gary

One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks,
today!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212962939x1200825291/aol?redi
r=http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp