Re: [Healeys] clutch question

Subject: Re: [Healeys] clutch question
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:15:10 -0800
The clutch on my BJ8 is smooth and requires only slightly more pedal
force than the clutch on my late model Mustang.

Though I haven't tried it myself, I think your attempts to test the
clutch by manually pressing on the fork lever may be misleading.  There
is a great deal of mechanical and hydraulic advantage exerted by the
clutch pedal and master and slave cylinders, probably more than you can
exert by hand with even a large pry bar.   I have a new, uninstalled
clutch cover and for a test I put it on a concrete floor and stood on
the release bearing surface on one leg.  My (nearly) 190 pounds only
moved the bearing surface a sixteenth of an inch or so; even bouncing on
the surface didn't cause much more movement.

The diaphragm clutch in BJ8s is butt-simple and reliable; I can't think
of any installation error that would cause it to not be workable
(though, having said that, someone will prove me wrong ;).  Since
disengaging the clutch involves retracting the pressure plate, about the
only thing that could cause a problem is something jammed between the
plate and the clutch cover.   Not likely, unless your mechanic left a
screwdriver or wrench in there.

Bob