Re: [Healeys] Re-installing Tranny?

To: scott willis <ahpowered@hotmail.com>, Healey Mail List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Re-installing Tranny?
From: David Schweninger <quenty@ntelos.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 17:01:40 -0500
Yes Scott, Through the Cockpit.
Pad the top of the windshield. Remove the rear mount to frame screws,
jack up the engine, under the pan until the flange has risen about 2".
use a scissor jack or wood blocks to support the rear of the engine.
  I removed all the bell housing bolts except the top two.
  With the floor crane in place, lift the trans until it just starts
to move. Then I backed the top two bolts out about 1/8" then ease the
floor crane down or raise the scissor jack up until the bell just
separates from block. Remove the top two bolts.
The trans will probably want to rotate a bit. I used short pry bars to
ease trans back. Its a big help if you have somebody to steady the
trans as you guide it out through the door.

As the manuals say, "installation is the reverse of this procedure".
Sort of.

Have fun
Dave and Daisy

On Jan 3, 2009, at 4:02 PM, scott willis wrote:

> Thanks David. Are you saying you used it to remove and install it
> through the cockpit? I have access to a couple of these loved metal
> pups in town.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Scott Willis
> Mashed 60 BN7 AH Club USA
> 59 MGA
> 66 E-Type FHC
>
> http://www.bgeuroclassics.org
> BG Euro Classics Car Club President
> Bowling Green, KY

>> CC: quenty@ntelos.net
>> From: quenty@ntelos.net
>> To: ahpowered@hotmail.com; healeys@autox.team.net
>> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Re-installing Tranny?
>> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 14:13:46 -0500
>>
>> Hello again Scott,
>> I had to pull the trans out of my BN7 in the middle of my restoration
>> because some idiot put the unidirectional clutch in backward. (he
>> shall go nameless). It was much easier than I thought it would be.
>> The
>> Secret ? a foldable crane I bought at Harbor Freight.
>> A rope around the adaptor plate, as Rich Chrysler suggested, is
>> exactly right. Even tho it doesn't look like it.
>> The nice thing about the floor crane is that it allows you to move
>> the
>> hook around rather than the car.
>>
>> I used it to lift the Tub off the trailer after painting and to
>> assemble and install the engine and trans. all single- handedly.
>> Folded It takes about 3' Ft. square and 6' high.
>>
>> It costs about one half a Welsh Corgi and doesn't require a lot of
>> love and devotion.
>>
>> I've attached some pictures.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Dave and Daisy

> Its the same Hotmail.. If by same you mean up to 70% faster.

http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_broad1_12
2008