[Healeys] Starter Problems BJ8

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Starter Problems BJ8
From: STOCKLAND@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:31:50 EST
Fellows, here is a real puzzle.  Tried starting my BJ8 a couple of  weeks ago
and after cranking several times, the starter quit working.  The  solenoid
would click but the starter would not turn over.  Removed the  starter and took
it to a rebuilder and after inspection and cleaning was told  the starter was
OK.  Reinstalled it and cranked it a few times when it  happened again.
Solenoid worked but the starter refused to turn.   Thought maybe the solenoid
was
bad so I shorted between the outside  solenoid poles and sparks flew.  It is
though the starter is shorted  or something.  Question is if the solenoid is
bad, why would the  reinstalled starter work for a while then stop?  What would
cause the  starter to turn over for a while then refuse to turn and act as if
there is a  short?  I am really frustrated and sure could use your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Jon