Re: [Healeys] Fitting new grille to bonnet BJ8

To: Weston Keyes <westonkeyes@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fitting new grille to bonnet BJ8
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 09:06:53 -0800
Hi Wes,

I had a lot of trouble reinstalling that grille on the inside (maybe the
re-chrome was too heavy) but that is the way I have seen it on original
unmolested cars. If you install it on the outside then the top piece w/studs
might stick up too high leaving an unsightly gap and/or some of the grill will
poke out from under the top piece. At least that is what mine looked like when
I tried to fit the grille on the outside of the scoop.

BTW, originally there were rectangular rubber packing pieces installed on the
studs that help prevent dimples in the top piece when tightening the fastening
nuts. Make sure you use some rubber washers between the top piece/paint, some
medium locktight and only hand tighten the nuts. If you pull them too tight you
can ruin the look of the top piece.

Cheers,
John