Re: [Healeys] Walkie Talkies

To: Charlie Frazer <cfrazer@jcomm.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Walkie Talkies
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:09:36 +0800
All -

Rather than walkie talkies.... if you have a mobile phone with even basic
graphics/data ability, this is something that probably would work wonders to
tracking cars that are traveling in groups:

http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html

I have been using it here in Hong Kong with my Blackberry and my wife's
Nokia, and it is AWESOME.  You don't even need GPS (although the GPS
readings are more accurate)... it'll determine your location by pinging the
cell sites and any nearby WiFi terminals, and plot it on Google Maps.  Crazy
technology.  Great way to keep tabs on your kids too even if they don't have
a GPS phone.

The only thing about it is I notice it tends to draw the battery at a rate
twice the normal standby time, but if you have an in car charger this is no
big deal.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1