Re: [Healeys] Quality parts... Stainless Exhaust Revisited

To: "'David Schweninger'" <quenty@ntelos.net>, "'Healey Mail List'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Quality parts... Stainless Exhaust Revisited
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:11:15 -0800
"So I ordered a system From a Moss distributor. "
--------------------------
David:
Just FYI and for the group....

I use Moss all the time and generally like them.
When I bought my 67 BJ8 in 2002 the exhaust system was totally rusted out in
spots. Thankfully about the only rust on the car.

I ordered the Moss stainless steel system.
Even though the advertisement said that it was only a weekend project with a
couple of friends on your driveway, I took everything still boxed up to a
muffler shop that came highly recommended.

They said "sure, I've done these Moss kits before on Healeys. $100, two
hours". So I said sure, took a seat and grabbed a magazine.

Six hours later with TWO mechanics on it full time, welding, bending,
cutting, swearing, and sweating, they finished.  I got my wallet out. He
said "you know I have to charge you more than the estimate".  I said that
was obvious. He said $140.  I couldn't believe my ears. And yes I go back to
him for any/all other muffler issues.

"A couple of friends on your driveway"?? How about two pros with the car up
on a lift with welding torches and tools to bend, shimmy, hammer and pry
into place. I guarantee that shop will never do it again so cheaply.

Unfortunately I never called Moss to complain as I probably should have. I
felt so lucky to have gotten off that easily and had more projects underway.
Sorry everyone about that.

So when it came to installing my top kit and upholstery.....I bought and
watched the installation videos then went directly to the pros and had them
do it.

Ron Davies
Laguna Hills