Re: [Healeys] 100-4 teenie-tiny detail question.

To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-4 teenie-tiny detail question.
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 12:40:24 +0000
Paul and Alan

I can simplify this.

The parts of the 100 that Donald Healey designed were all UNF because
this thread by that date had become the British standard. However Austin
designed parts, going back in a few cases to before W.W.II, were BSF.

Therefore the engine BN1 gearbox, spiral bevel rear axle, suspension and
hubs etc. were BSF.

All chassis parts including such things as the grease nipples were UNF

When BMC introduced onto the 100 the Spiral Bevel rear axle, the BN2
gearbox, the BN2 front suspension and hubs they had UNF threads. These
major units having been designed for the A90 Westminster after W.W.II.

If one uses this simple guide it will hold good for about 99% of all
cases.

It is also worth noting that some early Austin parts has B.A. threads.
These were replaced later with 10-32 UNC threads.

As you say the long rear suspension grease nipples are specials. As a
matter of interest I have had made extension that will take a normal
small UNF grease nipple.

Best regards

--
John Harper