Re: [Healeys] Tires or Tyres, tires, tyres, tires, tyres....

To: Healeys@autox.team.net, Keith Bailey <keithbailey5@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tires or Tyres, tires, tyres, tires, tyres....
From: Robert Blair <rnbmail@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:17:09 -0700 (PDT)
Keith,

I have been reading the tires et al disciussions - all the way from 'rubbis=
h' to 'great' - on the same tires. I would make these comments:

1.  Each driver has a personal impression that cannot be taken literally.
2.  Todays technology produced good tires in most cases that are reliable.
3.  Tires vary in wet grip based on rubber composition of course.  There ar=
e side marking codes which define A, B, C grip capability - personal choice=
 trade off of miles vs grip for your dollar - you cannot get both.
4.  Size and profile are a personal choice of looks - for a late 3000 my ch=
oice [based on what is available] is the 185x15.  I am not a low profile fa=
n - personal choice.
5.  Replacing a set of tires at 10 years old is not necessary providing the=
y are not worn by more than about 50% and have not sat idle for years in wh=
ich case the tire shape will have morfed somewhat.  Like all mechanical thi=
ngs use it better than storage.  True for engines - tires are no exception.=
  I ran 20 year old well cared for tires [stored in garage, not left in sun=
, correctly inflated, inspected regularly] on a Ferrari with no trouble.  A=
t the speeds of road Healeys the stress on modern tires in minimal.
6.  Avoid very narrow tires on very wide rims, and avaoid very wide tires o=
n very narrow rims.  165/175 on 4 1/2 inch, 185/195 on 5 inch rims, 205 on =
5 1/2 or 6 inch etc.
7.  I think we all wish there was a GOOD 175x15 tire out there - I could no=
t find one, so I now use 185x15.

Robert N. Blair  Yellow 65BJ8  rnbmail@yahoo.com
  =A0  =