Re: [Healeys] First drive in 26 years and three problems, revisited!

To: "'Randy Dickson'" <rdickson@midwestarchaeology.com>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] First drive in 26 years and three problems, revisited!
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:04:51 -0400
I'm pretty sure that the disc you have is for a later BJ8. they used a
thicker disc 1/2" I believe and a different offset. They were the same
diameter. If you look closely I think that you will find that the disc is
not centered in the caliper.
Before getting into the driveshaft issue I would check the tightness of the
rear wheels on their splines.
Jack up one rear wheel and, with the hand brake firmly applied, try turning
the wheel back and forth you will probably find that there is play. If
tightening the knock off does not resolve the problem then the mounting
taper inboard of the spline is probably worn and the knock off nut is
bottoming on its thread.
Usually in such a situation new splines and wheels are required...:-(

Michael Salter
100 (1953) #174
AHX12 (1953)
Bugeye (1961)