Re: [Healeys] Healey metallurgy

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey metallurgy
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:32:08 -0400
Jerry, I'm not sure which part you are talking about, but generally metal is
strengthened (and also made more brittle) by heat treating it, which
involves heating to a high temperature below the melting point and then
quenching it (in oil, water, air, or other media depending on the material
and what strength you are shooting for).  Heat treating is both a science
and an art, and depends on a lot of things.   I don't believe the sheet
metal strength on Healeys is critical enough to worry about heat treating.
For things that are critical, you would heat it first to anneal (soften) it,
then straighten it, and if necessary heat treat to restore strength after
straightening.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry