[Healeys] Healey gearbox, rear end, driveshaft problems????

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Healey gearbox, rear end, driveshaft problems????
From: "Randy Dickson" <rdickson@midwestarchaeology.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:35:09 -0500
Fellow Healeyoids,

I went on my second drive in my 63 BJ7 after a 26 year hiatus yesterday.
After the problems of the first drive two weeks ago I installed new disks to
the front, removed a 1 = inch spaced block on the left front suspension
(that I forgot about), and installed a two new rear splines.  Thus, I
thought I fixed the clunking problem as well as the brakes grabbing.
Well, I never got a chance to feel the brakes grab as the Healey froze with
engine running at the end of my alley.  It would not move in first but would
drive in reverse.  I backed all the way back down the alley to my garage.
Then the car would shift fine into first or second but would not move.
Then, I got out and rocked the car, put it into reverse, drove back then got
it to go into first and was able to pull forward.  I went forward and back 6
times fine, then it locked up again and would not go forward.  I heard a
loud clunking from the driveshaft area.  Today I plan on putting the car on
jack stands and starting the car and going through all of the gears.  I have
done this in the past and had no problem.

Question:

1)      My gearbox and overdrive are out of a BJ8 and are rebuilt, and I
suspect these are the culprits.

2)      I never rebuilt the rear end, could the spider gears be bad or
something more serious with the differential?  I have two spare diffs.

3)      I have my original BJ7 gearbox on my workbench and I have everything
to rebuild it.  I will likely start that process soon, but I hate to swap
out gearboxes without knowing for sure.  Also, time is not on my side as I
will be working and traveling on the road very soon.

Thanks!

Randy

Healey Archaeologist

63 BJ7