Re: [Healeys] Timing Light

To: Dan Stromquist <dan@warner-associates.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timing Light
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:44:55 +0200
The very old neon timing lights were rather inaccurate as they showed a
considerable delay. These were also rather impractical as they gave of
very little light. The modern (OK, all is relative) Xenon lights are
quite accurate. They are all triggered by induction of no. 1 plug wire.
Some pick ups work better than others. You can get the very basic one,
or one with timing delay so that you can set the advance on the timing
light and adjust on TDC. Some even have a dwell angle meter and RPM
gauge included.
In the past I had good results with Optimax from Hella (simple
stroboscope light and still available I believe) and 80-Line (cheap,
with advance setting) both are still working after 28 years.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL