Re: [Healeys] Timing Lights and Positive Ground

To: Michael Hartfield <hartfiel@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timing Lights and Positive Ground
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:16:50 +0000 (UTC)
Connect the negative (black) lead on the TL to a power source (the battery lead
on the starter solenoid is convenient). Connect the positive (red) lead on the
TL to any bare chassis metal on the car. The pickup is attached as usual to #1
spark plug wire.

If the TL's case is metal be careful; it's probably "grounded" for a
negative-ground car, and you'll create a nice spark and small arc weld if you
touch the case to the chassis. Otherwise, I've done it this way for years with
no injuries to the car, the light or me ;)

bs

How does one connect the timing light leads in a positive ground system?
Any danger of harming the timing light? Inquiring minds want to know.

Michael
BJ8

You are subscribed as bspidell@comcast.net