[Healeys] Stub Axles and Bearings

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Stub Axles and Bearings
From: sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:18:15 +1000
Blokes

The problem of cracking and weakness at the root of the axle shaft is the lack
of material thickness. From the wheel and bearing side is looks like a big
sloid lump of axle, have a look in the back, it is very much hollowed out. In
Aust. we machine the old axle off, bore out the centre of the remaining stub
axle forging and press fit and weld in a new high tensile axle with a locating
flange on the back side.

Bearing spacers are well documented in heavy duty industrial transmissions as
required to assist with bearing location, pre-setting of running clearances AND
to preventing slide on fitting bearings from rotating on the shafts. Trust me.

Normally in high load applications ALL bearings are a press - on fit so that
they do not rotate or move on the shaft

Joe