Re: [Healeys] Breaking rusted bolts

To: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Breaking rusted bolts
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:32:53 -0400
Lloyd Bender did a review of penetrating oils in the April/May 2007 edition
of Machinist's Workshop (back issue available at
https://secure.villagepress.com/store/items/detail/item/1549).  It doesn't
include the Loctite and CRC "freeze" products (I don't think that they were
out yet).  He didn't have a way to measure the torque to unscrew a rusted
bolt, so he measured the force to remove a pin from a hole. The parts were
assembled and then rusted by 12 cycles of 10 minutes in a 3% salt bath and
50 minutes in 105 degF air.  The joints were then soaked in one ounce of
penetrating oil for 12 hours.

The results were (lower the number of pounds is better):

                         Average        Price per
Penetrating oil         Load           fluid ounce
ATF-Acetone 50/50 mix   53 pounds       $0.10
Kano Kroil             106 pounds       $0.75
Liquid Wrench          127 pounds       $0.21
PB Blaster             214 pounds       $0.35
WD-40                  238 pounds       $0.25
None                   516 pounds       -----

The prices were what he paid for the minimum quantity possible.

Anyone tried the ATF-Acetone mix?

Bob