Re: [Healeys] carburator gaskets

To: andy pole <ampole@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] carburator gaskets
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:56:54 -0700
Andy,

I think metal, or metal/fiber gaskets would be overkill for intakes (usually
you
see those on the exhaust).  You'd probably have to put more tension on the carb
nuts to compress them, then re-tighten after a few hours after the gaskets
compress (you need to do that on exhaust gaskets).

The paper gaskets on either side of the heat shield seem to work well, but I
think you'd want something more durable like "pseudo-asbestos" on the manifold
side, although paper might work just fine.  If the metal gaskets are thin
enough
  and of a soft enough alloy they should be OK, but I'd be sure to re-tighten
the stud nuts after a few hours (probably a good idea with any gasketed union).

Bob