[Healeys] Grille surround.

To: "'austin healey'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Grille surround.
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 20:22:20 +0100
Some guidance please...............
1) I have a MkII BT7. So, the chrome "grille surround" on my car has got a
rust hole in it. (Strange, as the rest of it really looks OK; this hole
seems to have appeared from nowhere!) I shall have to replace it or have it
repaired and rechromed. Any thoughts on that?
But, but....when I bought the car it came with the near obligatory box of
bits/pile of junk. Amongst these was a rather tatty looking "grille
surround" which I dug out of the attic today. After a good clean and polish
it looks OKish and I'm not sure about having it rechromed or not. I'll
probably have both the "top cowl" and the "grille surround" done as that's
such a pig of an area to work in that I may as well make it worthwhile with
rechromed parts? (I've got the wind deflectors, mud flap thingies et al so
it's a crowded area).
2) Anyhow.....I gather that the MkI grille area bits are different from the
MkII but the suppliers' diagrams and lists all seem a bit ambiguous to me. I
don't want to take mine apart until the autumn so I can't compare like with
like. Am I right in thinking that, if the piece is a sort of squashed
one-piece oval, then it'll fit a MKII BT7 as well as a BJ7 & a BJ8??
Simon.