Re: [Healeys] Wheel Alignment

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wheel Alignment
From: "Ed's Shop" <shop@justbrits.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:11:41 -0500
You gents CONTINUE to work WAY to hard<G>!!!

<<Yep. Get a tape measure>>

Yep, agreed all.

<<and a friend or SO.>>

Well, a pretty 'friend' or SO to hand you a brew WOULD be NICE but
un-necessary for the job.

<<Measure the distance from a point on a tire tread on one side of the front
tire to the same point on the other front tire at the same height (usually,
you can't go higher than about 6-8 inches). Repeat on the backside of the
tire; same point on tread at approx. same height. This won't be absolutely
accurate because due to camber the measurement would be different if you
could measure at the center of the tire circumference, but it'll give you a
ballpark idea.>>

While the basic info is good, STILL TOO much work<G>!!!

Procure two (2) pieces of STRING 20' - 25' long and lay out on each side
of the car.  Tie BOTH via a NON-slip loop to the boot lid handle then run
each below overrider and run across the back tyre as close to center as
K/O allows using tyre tread to 'position' and continue to front of car and
running said string across same location(s) on front tyre and tie-off just
in-board of front O/R (securely & snugly)!!  Same on both sides of car.

Oh oops;  I WAS 'assuming' (yes, I know<G>) car on nice level surface
with wheels straight ahead.

At this point there 'should' be a gap from string to (front) tyre EITHER
at the back OR front.  You may have to turn steering wheel either right or
left so that ONE front tyre has string against BOTH front & rear face of
said tyre.  The other side may have a measurable 'gap'.

Adjust tie-rod in direction required to obtain ZERO gap (for BOTH tyres).

With radial tyres, you ARE now 'adjusted' (and as close as radials will
allow).

Once you have done it, it's a 5 mt. job on practically any LBC (and a LOT of
other cars [that have +/- 1/8" spec] ).

Ed
Please visit MY site at:                www.justbrits.com

PS:  You may have seen this method done (in very near past) in NASCAR
and I think I once saw in Indy cars.  Those guys are going a LOT faster
than our Healeys EVER (street cars<G>) will !!!  LOL