[Healeys] Little Aussie bleeder!

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Little Aussie bleeder!
From: "Peter Linn" <greylinn@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:09:07 +1000
Many thanks to you all the suggestions & advice!

Another  long-suffering Queensland club member, George Goss and I spent
another 3 hours today on the brakes, and eventually got fluid flowing through
the system and a pedal of sorts. The trick appeared to be to pump up the pedal
until there was some sort of resistance, then open the bleed screw, close when
the pedal's down, & repeat till no air comes out. We clamped the hoses on the
lines not being bled. The situation was complicated by (a) the bleed screws,
which have a ball bearing to form the seal. One seemed to be stuck in the
cylinder, and we only began to make progess when we were able to blow it out
by removing the screw & pumping the pedal. And (b) air apparently leaking
around the bleed screw theads, giving the impression that there was still air
in the system (opening the screw only enough to force the fluid out by
increased pedal pressure diagnosed this).

So now the car stops, but I'm not satisfied that it's right, as the pedal is
lower than it was before all this started. I'm not sure I'll risk a 250 km
round trip at the weekend to a classic car/aircraft meet (including a mountain
range climb/descent)!

Cheers

Peter Linn
Brisbane Oz