[Healeys] Big Healey Pinion Oil Seal

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Big Healey Pinion Oil Seal
From: Mark Schneider <mandmschneider@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 20:09:20 -0700
All,

A day or two ago several of you were very helpful with your comments
and answers regarding my efforts to replace the pinion oil seal in my
Healey rearend.  I have now borrowed a pneumatic impact tool to try to
loosen the large flange nut.  I am assuming the threads on the shaft
are normal threads, that is, "lefty loosy/righty tighty".  I have the
flange locked with a metal rod and the park brake is set pretty hard.
When I hit the nut with the impact tool all it did was make a lot of
noise as it banged away.  The nut did not budge.  I recall the large
nut on the first motion shaft in the gearbox was a left handed
thread.  Is that possible again here?  I think not but I hate working
against the tide.

Marks 3
1966 NJ8