Re: [Healeys] Body Filler (Putty)

To: <PhilRitten@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Body Filler (Putty)
From: "Chris Masucci" <csooch1@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 23:19:42 -0500
My personal opinion, talc based fillers you find at local auto stores are
trash.  They absorb moisture so unless you can guarantee a complete seal
away from humidity, using them will eventually rust the metal out from
behind the paint.  They dent easily also...door dings.  Some of the
Polyester based fillers available today are much better,, are not porous and
are very tough.  I haven't found one I like though.  I'll keep looking
though, since the alternatives are more work.

It is hard to work with, and expensive, but to date I prefer filler like
All-Metal.  It is not porous and a complete pain in the butt to work, so
don't apply it any thicker than you need thinking you can "cheese grater"
the excess off.  When you apply it, think about it like this...I just
applied a skim coat of cast iron.  That is about what it is like to sand and
shape that stuff.  BUT, when you reach the shape you want, it will be that
way for the foreseeable future.

The lightweight fillers make it easy to produce something that looks pretty
good, but is not really any good at all.

Cheers,
Chris
BJ8