Re: [Healeys] Starter solenoid problem

To: linwoodrose@mac.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Starter solenoid problem
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 10:24:41 EDT
"Question:  I have a gear reduction starter and I seem to recall that  you
can bypass the original solenoid with these starters, but I have no
directions. Can I just hook the cable from the battery directly to the
positive
post on the starter? If so, anything else I need to do? How about that little
jumper wire? I assume that if one does this, then just turning the ignition
key  will turn the starter. Does the gear reduction starter have a solenoid
built in  to it to engage the starter to the  flywheel?"
-------------------------------
Lin--

Yes, you can hook  the battery directly to the starter or even easier
simply use one stud of the  solenoid to make the connction with the existing
cables. Then if you hook the  "little jumper wire" to the wire that energizes
the original solenoid you will  take it (the original defective solenoid) out
of the circuit and you will be  using the solenoid which is built into the
gear starter. Actually you were  always using it, but you energized IT
through the original solenoid.

Go here: _http://ferraris.server273.com/solenoid.html_
(http://ferraris.server273.com/solenoid.html)    This is the page at the
"British Starters" that
tells how to utilize the  original solenoid with a reduction starter which
is no doubt how you are  currently set up and in order to get your Healey
solenoid out of the equation  you will need to disconnect the ring terminal
end of the small wire from the big  terminal on the reduction starter and
hook
it up via butt connectors and perhaps  an additional length of light wire
to the wire that runs to your original  solenoid from the starter switch.
Again, connect the battery cable and the  starter cable together at either
post
of the original solenoid.

I have  reductions starters and have discarded the original solenoid on all
my  cars--having both in tandem is kind of a "belt and suspender" situation
where  you need both--not just one-- to hold your pants up and simply
creates an  extra failure mode.

Best--Michael Oritt

**************We found the real bHotel Californiab and the bSeinfeldb
(http://www.whereitsat.com/?ncid=emlwenew00000004)