Re: [Healeys] Starter Solenoid Question

To: PhilRitten@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Starter Solenoid Question
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 21:23:35 -0700
Not sure about this question--never heard of a solenoid on a Healey clutch--but
there's 4 wires to the starter solenoid:

- 'hot,' heavy gauge cable from the battery
- heavy gauge cable to the starter
- semi-heavy, 'hot,' (12-14 gauge) wire from the hot terminal to the regulator
- small gauge wire from the starter switch that energizes the solenoid

Usually, the hot lead to the battery on the terminal closest to the engine, and
the lead to the starter is closest to the chassis.  The brown wire to the
regulator should be on the same terminal as the battery lead.

When doing this work, you should turn the battery cutoff switch to 'off.'  If
you don't trust the switch then disconnect the ground cable at the battery.

Bob