Re: [Healeys] brake fluid loss

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] brake fluid loss
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:56:01 -0400
Yes, the missing fluid is almost certainly inside the brake booster
canister.  Repair/overhaul kits are available.  I did mine years ago, and
the only problem I encountered was the spaghetti-shaped foam rubber packing
for the leather piston seal was too large in diameter and made the vacuum
piston stick.  It's difficult to "shave" foam rubber, but I made it work.
The kit was probably made for some car other than Healeys, and perhaps
what's available now is easier to work with.  Some have suggested using
suitably-sized silicone tubing to substitute for the foam.
The rest of the kit is just normal hydraulic parts.  If you can rebuild a
brake cylinder, you can rebuild the booster.
Oh, yes, the inside of the canister is supposed to be sprayed with a solid
film lubricant.  I got mine from Sandstrom Products:
www.sandstromproducts.com.  The air dry spray is the stuff to use.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry