Re: [Healeys] new oil pan

To: robert westcott <55healey@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] new oil pan
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:01:58 +0000 (UTC)
Generally, unless a specific pattern is known, torque from the inner to the
outer, alternating sides, in two or three steps (e.g. if the final torque is
25ft-lbs, torque all in sequence to 15 or 20ft-lbs, then final torque to 25).

The torque will depend on the type and size of bolt; e.g. 3/8" fine should be
torqued to about 30-35ft-lbs (somewhat less if you oil the bolts). I think the
bolts on the pan are smaller, so figure out what size bolt you have and look up
the setting in a torque table (google 'torque table').

If you're going to use a cork gasket, I like to 'glue' one side in place with
3M yellow snot, then put a small bead of blue RTV on the other (this works well
for me for valve cover gaskets). If you're going to go gasketless, I like
'Right Stuff' (expensive, but since you probably just spent north of $400 on
the Al pan ...).

bs