Re: [Healeys] Harmonic Balancer

To: <fsufan1952@yahoo.com>, healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Harmonic Balancer
From: richard mayor <mayorrichard@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 00:39:44 +0000
Your "balancer" is really a damper. It absorbs harmonic vibrations that will
kick in on our 6 cylinder engines somewhere around 5900 RPM.  Although there
may be some harmonics going on at lower RPMs, it's not really a problem. The
stock dampers usually just dry up from old age, not from dampening anything.
If you are really going to use your motor in anger, then think about a
performance damper. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
Richard Mayor
BN7L-466 Vintage Racer

> Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:28:20 -0700
> From: fsufan1952@yahoo.com
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Healeys] Harmonic Balancer
>
> I am getting my 67 BJ-8 motor cleaned up to paint before I put it back in
the car.I noticed the harmonic Balancer looked a little tired.The rubber looks
dried up,it's still all there but it has cracks.My question to the list
is,what damage would be done to leave it alone?It looks as though it would be
a job to remove it and a replacement is around $350.