[Healeys] O2 Meters

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] O2 Meters
From: "David Masucci" <drmasucci@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:10:20 +0000
I have the Innovate LM2 dual sensor meter. It is amazing watching it. It just
helped me diagnose a vacuum leak in my brake servo. I went nuts trying to get
my BJ8 carbs to run as expected. I could tune mixtures for one speed, and it
would be wrong everywhere else.

Once I installed the dual sensors, I could set the carbs to have an air/fuel
ratio around 12 to 13 while cruising, but it would always go off at idle. It
was amazing to see. The rear carb would be lean at idle while the front would
be correct. I just could not balance the mixture  with the idle bypass
adjustment screws.

I blocked off the brake servo hose, and then I could balance the idle. Well it
turned out that the leak was even messing up the mixture at cruise as I then
had to readjust the main jet for that speed. It was bleeding enough air to mess
it up at cruise.

Do you need this tool...of course not. But I have forever wanted to know what
my mixture is at different throttle settings and under different load
conditions. I can now see that I can make it just right at idle, AND spot-on at
cruise. I also see that when I step on it, I am getting a mixture of around 15
to 17 to 1 which is too lean for acceleration. I am now playing with oil
viscosity in the dashpots. I'll let you know how I make out. Once I get my new
Powertune brake servo installed, I can continue the fun!

Dave
BJ8