[Healeys] Bugeye front wheel bearing

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Bugeye front wheel bearing
From: S and T Miller <stmiller96@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:33:05 -0400
Took it all apart again today. Turns out the inner bearing outer race was just
slightly loose within the hub.  When installing the bearing it was tight at
first, but when it was driven home it became loose enough to move it in and
out (slightly) with just finger pressure!  So the old bearing probably spun at
some point or it just wore out.  BAD HUB!

What I did:  I took a heavy center punch and made eight sets of indents in the
surface where the bearing fits into the hub.  This created a small distortion
in the surface (small volcano shape) allowing the bearing to fit snug.  Will
this work long term?  Time will tell.  If not I will need to buy a new hub.
Shawn

The Millers
"British Car Nuts"

1957 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4 35299

1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4 77219

1965 MGB 40841

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite AN5 34351