Re: [Healeys] 100 Engine Timing Chain Tensioner

To: Marvin James <britcrs@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 Engine Timing Chain Tensioner
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:26:46 +0100
Lets keep this in perspective folks

There were literally tens of thousands of Austin/BMC petrol (gasoline)
engines running around with this tensioner fitted. There were very few
problems reported and not enough feedback to BMC to warrant a change or
Service Journal issue. It would have been a very simple modification for
BMC to change over to a 'rub on the slack side' version but presumable
they did not see a need.

What might have happened, and this is pure speculation on my part, was
that the quality of the rubber improved over the years but without the
need for a part number change. Please remember that in the early 1950s
the UK was still short of most raw materials. Quality often had to be
compromised for things to be made at all. We were still trying to export
all that we could to pay for W.W.II.

We can run through a few of the petrol engined vehicles fitted with this
arrangement including

Austin 16 around 1948
A70s
A90 Atlantic
London Taxi
Austin Gypsy
Numerous small commercial vehicles
finishing with the EA van with a 2.5 Litre petrol around 1969

Regards