[Healeys] OD Adjustment

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] OD Adjustment
From: Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:29:17 -0700 (PDT)
Fellow Listers,

I'm slowly going nuts here following the approach outlined in the manuals for
adjusting the OD.  I've turned on the switch and energized the solenoid and
determined it was out of adjustment.  I turned the switch off and set the
adjustment lever to the set hole with a 3/16" rod.  I loosened the retaining
nut and set the solenoid plunger to the bottom of the J-arm's travel.  I
tightened the retaining nut making sure the plunger was located against the
bottom.  I removed the alignment rod, turned the switch and wham!  The holes
still do not line up, meaning it's still out of adjustment.  I've done this
more times than I care to admit.

Some observations to note. I do NOT have a rubber stopper in the case meeting
the plunger when not engaged.  The adjustment lever on the right side of the OD
never seems to travel above (to the left of) the set hole in the case.  It only
travels down (to the right of) the set hole in the case.  In other words, the
hole in the lever arm seems to be closest aligned to the set hole when the OD
is not energized.

It seems to me that when setting the lever, the plunger should be set to the
top most position of the plunger's travel (with a 3/16" rod set in place). I
would think the travel of the plunger when not energized shouldn't matter as
much as the plunger's position when energized.  Does that make sense?

I would appreciate it if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong - or if it's
easier just tell me how to properly set the OD adjustment.  Perhaps someone can
interpret the manual's directions into American english instead of the King's
(no offense intended).  As always, thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Carlos Cruz