Re: [Healeys] Subject: Healey 3000 Pistons

To: "'Rich C'" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>, "'Healey Forum'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Subject: Healey 3000 Pistons
From: "Ron Ray" <ronald-ray@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 18:26:43 -0500
Rich,

I have similar pistons in my 1959 3000, which I installed back in the early
1970s. They produce a 10:1 compression ratio, which was great at the time
but means an octane additive with today's gasoline.  One could obtain
pistons with the raised area slightly larger than the combustion chamber in
the head, and then file/machine the raised portion of the piston down so
that it's footprint matched the combustion chamber, less the necessary
clearances.

The theory was (maybe still is) that internal combustion engines are more
efficient at higher compression ratios, although my experience is that any
increased in fuel efficiency is quickly offset by the driver's right foot
once the added performance is discovered.

I suspect you are correct in that the camshaft is not standard.  Again, back
in the early 1970s, the "thing to do" was to mate a 280 degree cam with the
pistons, which I did.  Both are still in use today with no problems.  I
think the only issue the current driver has is understanding the need for an
octane additive.

Ron