Re: [Healeys] Ear Plugs

To: <Editorgary@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ear Plugs
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 06:24:48 +0100
writes:

> Dr. House of the House Ear Institute lectured to my group some 15 years
> ago.
> I asked him about the best protection for shooting.  He said the simple
> yellow foam cylinders work best IF properly inserted.  Roll up lengthwise
> between thumb and forefinger then place in ear and hold deep in place
> until
> it expands. You can buy them cheaply by the hundreds on-line. If it seems
> like they are too far in, you have it right.

Whilst engaged in firing largish guns in the Artillery, we were issued with
these yellow items. One guy's cylinders were seemingly pushed further into
his ears by the continued and considerable concussions of the gunfire. It
fell to me as the only one with a tool kit to extract them which I did with
a pair of electricians pliers!
Simon