Re: [Healeys] Why have a Sports Car

To: HealeyRick <healeyrick@yahoo.com>, Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Why have a Sports Car
From: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:54:56 +1000
HealeyRick wrote:

>Interesting those phrases you remember from your youth.  I was a huge Henry N.
>Manney fan.  And over at C&D, I tended to favor Warren Weith. Rob Walker used
>to deliver such great GP reports, felt I was in the pits even though the
>checkered rlag had dropped three months earlier.  I miss their prose, although
>am still a lover of Peter Egan and Burt Levy.  Any other favorite writers out
>there?
>
>Yr Fthfl Srvnt,
>Rick
>_____________________

As a wayward youth down in country Australia we had no 3D motor racing
only the flat images on paper that came from the town library.
BUT I will never forget the C&D, or Road & Track or was it Sports Car
Graphic article that was to change my life. A journalist rode as
passenger in a Maserati Birdcage down the east coast of USA to a
motoring event - could it have been Sebring. The passenger had to nurse
his luggage while it pi..ed down rain for most of the trip. From memory
the elements did not deter the intrepid Sports Car pair.

Some years later I saw a TR.3 driver in the car park at my first motor
race meeting hammer his 'nearsideundos' up so tight I could only assume
the ride home was going to be sooooooo  fast.

So what happened next you ask, first car as a 17yo.,  a BN.4, next car
another BN.4,  then it got really serious with two of Donald's best, a
red one and a blue one.

Joe