Re: [Healeys] Smell

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Smell
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:15:30 +0000 (UTC)
Interesting (to me, at least), is that my oil consumption--which is mostly from
leaking through the rear main 'seal'--is much less on a long trip; i.e. driving
mostly long highway legs. Around town and on short trips with lots of stops I
use (leak) about a quart every 1,000 miles, on trips with long highway legs I
use a quart every 2,000 miles give or take. I attribute this to the scroll seal
and'slinger' working well as long as you're driving fast and steady, but not so
well at slow speeds with lots of stops.

Also, my oil consumption--and the blue smoke out the tailpipes when
shifting--diminished after I installed a PCV valve. I think the valve pulls a
slight vacuum in the sump--there's no vent on the valve cover and I sealed up
some leaks--so oil doesn't get blown past the scroll seal.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

All seals and gaskets, as with any UK built car.
If you rebuild the engine yourself, taking great care with assembly and
using the tightest tolerances possible (not factory spec tolerances),
proper gasket material etc. you may have a chance that it will come down
to one or two drops after each trip. That is as far as you can get.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL