Re: [Healeys] Archimedes and his screw

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Archimedes and his screw
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:19:11 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/09 11:46:33 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> I attribute this to the scroll seal and'slinger' working well as long as
> you're driving fast and steady, but not so well at slow speeds with lots of
> stops.

We should call it by its right name: Reverse Archimedes Screw... (look it
up if you wonder how a Greek could have invented something that has become
iconic British).

You lose the oil when you shut off the engine, because the negative
pressure in the crankcase, which is helping pull the oil off the screw and back
into the crankcase briefly becomes positive pressure, which pushes whatever oil
was on and around the screw back into the bell housing.

That oil in turn dribbles out of the little hole at the bottom of the bell
housing, which should have a split pin (cotter pin to the Chevy mechanic)
hanging out of it. The split pin is there to keep that hole clear of dirt and
debris, so that the oil can actually drain out (and on to your garage floor)
rather than collecting and eventually "oiling" the clutch plate.

So, as long as the car is running, it isn't leaking oil. When it stops, it
leaks -- as it is designed to do. The more times you stop (and the greater
the worn tolerances between your engine block and the Archimedes screw) the
more oil you'll leak.

Cheers
gary