[Healeys] battery

To: Healeys@autox.team.net, Mark LaPierre <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [Healeys] battery
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:21:48 +0200
Mark,
Our cars are usually not driven regularly or in winter. I would tend to
get the cheapest one available. If possible get one that you can top up,
however most are maintainance free nowadays. If you use a trickle
charger the battery should remain its health. Automotive batteries last
between 5-15 years if maintained properly and in my experience there is
little difference between them although in comparitive tests by consumer
organisations Varta, Delco and some other brands do better than the
fantasy brands but they cost a lot more. Japanese batteries from e.g.
Toyota or Subaru are in another league and have lasted well over 12
years or 250.000mls in my cars, I never had to renew one.
The main thing is maintainance. Keep the acid level up if possible and
use a trickle charger. Keep the battery clean and apply some vaseline to
the poles.
I have heard varying experiences with Optima. Some are very pleased with
them, others have had reliability-durability problems. Anyhow, they are
very expensive.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL