Re: [Healeys] Magnetic drain plugs & 1 1/2 inch meters?

To: healeybruce@roadrunner.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Magnetic drain plugs & 1 1/2 inch meters?
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:03:37 EDT
Bruce--

I do not have an oil temperature gauge nor oil cooler mounted on my
Healeys.  However I do have an oil etemperature gauge and oil cooler  mounted
my Elva race car (MGA engine),  I monitor OT during the course  of a race and
find that even during the hardest running the OT does not  exceed 225-230
degrees and falls off to 200 or so on the cool-down  lap.  My understanding
of proper OT is that it should at some point get up  to above 212 to cook off
accumulated water and impurities in the oil but that it  should not exceed
240 degrees which might cook  the oil.  I also doubt  that either
transmission or differential oil temperatures will exceed 210 unless  there is
a bad
bearing or other source of excessive heat.

Now, having said all this I will try to verify some of these assumptions
with an electronic thermometer when I have the opportunity.

Best--Michael Oritt

In a message dated 10/25/2009 7:30:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,