[Healeys] update to BJ8 calipers leaking

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] update to BJ8 calipers leaking
From: George Vernau <gvernau@containerhouse.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:15:46 -0800 (PST)
Recently I asked for help on caliper seals that wouldn't seal and received a
bunch of good advice. I finally went through everything successfully and
thought I'd pass on the results.  The seals I had from Moss didn't seal and
didn't look too good- sort of a scalloped look to the cut edges.  I ordered a
high quality kit from the Nocks along with the O rings needed to split/ reseal
the calipers.  When I split the calipers and was able to get a good look I
found lots of corrosion and roughness in the grooves that hold the seals. I
cleaned and ground those grooves smooth again, installed the new seals, and put
it all back together with a little silicone brake lube. With the calipers apart
it's a slick and easy job. I feel stupid for doing it the hard way in the past-
those O rings are cheap. Now everything works (and stops) like new again with
no leaks.  Also, in fairness to Moss, despite the appearance of the caliper
kit, I think they would have sealed fine
 if it wasn't for all the corrosion/ roughness I left in the grooves.
George Vernau
1967 BJ8